[CQ-Contest] Conditions for 10m

John Warren nt5c at texas.net
Tue Dec 13 23:35:50 EST 2005

Rick NQ4I wrote:

>Hi all...the appearance of the OH, SM, TF and other Northern EU stations in
>the 10m contest really amaze me...I plugged the numbers in the W6EL
>propagation program and there is not a hint that this is
>available...It seems to happen with a lot of frequency when the
>conditions are
>not really very good...and Sporadic E seems to be taking place

Rick,

I'm sure the propagation gurus will explain it to us, but that
Scandinavian 10M opening is not unusual, good conditions or bad. In
Texas it normally peaks just before our sunset, i.e. far into their
night. But I seem to recall it happened a bit earlier in this contest?

What was interesting, at least in Texas : With a few exceptions, the
band was more or less closed through the weekend on the normal paths
to Europe, but that OH/SM opening still occurred.

John, NT5C.