[CQ-Contest] Conditions for 10m

Bob Naumann - W5OV W5OV at W5OV.com
Wed Dec 14 04:48:44 EST 2005

I worked OH2PM at 1818Z on Sunday.  Following that I worked several stations
in the Pacific NW, including 3 VE7's (SI, NL, & XF).  Perhaps the path was
over that area?

I was running low power CW to a 10' high vertical.

73,

Bob W5OV

-----Original Message-----
From: John Warren [mailto:nt5c at texas.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:36 PM
To: cq-contest at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Conditions for 10m

Rick NQ4I wrote:

>Hi all...the appearance of the OH, SM, TF and other Northern EU
>stations in the 10m contest really amaze me...I plugged the numbers in
>the W6EL propagation program and there is not a hint that this is
>available...It seems to happen with a lot of frequency when the
>conditions are not really very good...and Sporadic E seems to be taking
>place

Rick,

I'm sure the propagation gurus will explain it to us, but that Scandinavian
10M opening is not unusual, good conditions or bad. In Texas it normally
peaks just before our sunset, i.e. far into their night. But I seem to
recall it happened a bit earlier in this contest?

What was interesting, at least in Texas : With a few exceptions, the band
was more or less closed through the weekend on the normal paths to Europe,
but that OH/SM opening still occurred.

John, NT5C.