[CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 - Where are all the people?

VE3DZ va3uz at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 17 14:40:06 EST 2005

Eric,
unfortunately the current selection criteria for WRTC2006 (one team per
country) does not encourage people to apply. I spoke to a couple of top VE
contesters who indicated their interest in WRTC in the past and they
reasonably noticed that there is no point to prepare and submit an
application if someone already has more points than that. Really, why waste
the time?
I know there was enough criticism of the selection criteria on the WRTC2006
reflector already and this is too late to change anything, but still I think
it is not a very good idea to replace a selection of really strong
contesters from around the world with just " the more the better" countries
representatives.
Not even talking about the points calculation system itself, where the
leader of the "area" in the NA Sprint or Sweepstakes (sometimes not even
making the top ten) gets more points than a world M/S or SOABLP winner in
the ARRL DX...

Regards,
Yuri  VE3DZ