[CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

Bob Naumann - W5OV W5OV at W5OV.com
Mon Dec 19 16:58:05 EST 2005

Barry,

What is silly is making an issue out of it, and not recognizing that in our
contest parlance, and certainly in this specific discussion, the term
"packet" is used to reference *all* digital spotting, whether delivered to
your computer via V/UHF FM Radio / Packet TNC or over an Internet connection
using Telnet or some other protocol.

Maybe you'll get top honors next year?

MX & HNY to all!

Bob W5OV

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry [mailto:w2up at mindspring.com]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 3:36 PM
To: Bob Naumann - W5OV
Cc: cq-contest at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

Bob Naumann - W5OV wrote:

>(By the way, the runner-up for "Silliest Comment on CQ-Contest for
>2005" was the related pointing out that packet is not packet if it's via
the Internet.
>Watch for a special report from John Stossel on ABC's 20/20 as a "Give
>me a break" story in 2006.)

Bob, are referring to my earlier comments?:

"First, an issue of semantics.  I don't use packet.  I use telnet. Not many
use packet any more... "

Just to make it clear, I did NOT mean this to be way around the rules
regarding "packet."  I was just pointing out the term "packet" is used
incorrectly.  It is a mode, just like CW, SSB, Baudot, and PSK.  Packet
should not be synonymous with DX spotting.

I don't think that's silly, do you?

Barry