[CQ-Contest] Be careful

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Sun Jan 2 12:22:46 EST 2005

And how much extra effort is involved in installing a "small 3-stack" vs.
verticals? Particularly in a DX-pedition setting?

Is that worth less than an S-unit?

I think the point that needs to be made here is that K2KW et al didn't
arrive at the decision to use verticals lightly. It certainly wasn't a
decision founded on saving time, effort and money, though that is indeed a
benefit. They researched departure angles to the areas they needed to reach
and compared models of verticals against yagis and found the yagis
underperformed -- for the areas they were trying to reach -- in each
instance. The decision was founded upon gains acheived <<at certain angles>>
not overall.

I'd say with the wall candy they've acquired, their models have been borne
out. Anyone with doubts should read the report referenced earlier. It is
shows a comprehensive decision-making process. Particularly interesting was
the research done on where on the beach to locate the antenna (over the
water or 1/4-wl away?). Most would be surprised at the result.

That, as Kenny says, you can fit the entire station's antenna system into
three golf-club carrying cases is just the icing on the cake. Important when
it's a DX-pedition vs. establishing a permanent station.

It may be a bitter pill for someone with multiple 45Gs on Dutch territory to
swallow, but that doesn't make it any less true.

73, kelly
ve4xt