[CQ-Contest] World Records and Verticals

John WA2GO xnewyorka at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 4 19:35:23 EST 2005

I'm confused - is the debate whether verticals or yagis makes you a better
operator in the contest, or is the debate whether verticals or yagis give
you stronger transmitted and received signal strength, which then
(assumably) leads to a higher score?   Because if the debate is about which
type of antenna actually gives better on-the-air performance, I would think
that a controlled set of V vs. Y measurements could more easily be taken
without the added distraction of a contest.

A silly response for a silly debate...   the station with the winning
combination of operators and equipment is going to win, whatever that turns
out to be on that particular weekend.  Period.  Run the same contest with
the same competitors at the same stations but on a different weekend, and
you might get a different result, because the propagation gods and goddesses
might be in a different mood. And that is not an experimental variable you
can measure too easily, let alone control for.   For example, "verticals
will win when EU is coming in at 4-6 degrees on 20 meters, but yagis will
win when EU is coming in at 13-17 degrees...."   etc.

Again, the bottom line: the station with the winning combination of
operators and equipment is going to win. It's a game, and you can stack the
odds (no pun intended), but you still can't predict the outcome with
certainty!

73,

WA2GO