[CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!

Jim Smith jimsmith at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 18 19:20:01 EST 2005

Hi Rich,

I'm in the "once every 3 Qs or so is FB" group.

If it's slow, I sign once per Q.  If it's busy I hit CTRL-V 3 and TRLog
runs the little command file I've set up to ID once per 3 Qs and TRLog
takes care of the counting.  When it slows down again I hit CTRL-V 1 and
I'm back to once per Q.  If you don't like 3 but want 2 or 4 it's dead
easy to do.  If you want, you can set it up so you can choose 2, 3 or 4
or whatever.  In this way, I don't have to decide after every Q which TU
message I want to send.  I just have to decide if it's busy or slow.

One pet peeve is that, when the flood of people sending QDC? or the like
finally forces the run op to send his call, he sends the call once at 40
wpm.  Even at 30 wpm one little blurt of QRM or QRN leaves you little
the wiser unless you already know the calls of all the participants.

When I run into arrogance, such as I believe the lack of ID for long
periods of time to be, I get very vindictive feelings and have been
known to send CL? several times after each Q while hoping that others
who feel the same way will chime in.  If enough people do this on a
routine basis, the problem will vanish.  Of course, this is stepping on
the people who use spots and know the guy's call.

73 de Jim Smith   VE7FO