[CQ-Contest] Sprint resources?

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Thu Jan 20 22:20:47 EST 2005

Ian, K5ZM wrote & inquired:

 > I think it's time to take another look at this Sprint thing. The one time I
 > tried it gave me a migraine. But I'm game for a second look. Are there any
 > online resources out there? Unfortunately, the on-air practice sessions are
 > a bit impractical for me as I don't own equip of my own.
 >
 > Tnx es 73,

Umh, can't you join the practice sessions from where you plan to actually
operate in the Sprint???

Here's some info from our NCCC V.P. of Contesting - Dean, N6DEmwhich I hope
will be of help.  Note the NCCC Sponsored "Practice Session" schedule.  Be
there!!!

NCJ Sprint Rules:
http://www.ncjweb.com/sprintrules.php

Helpful guides on how to operate a Sprint contest:
The Sprint Survival Web Page - http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/sprint.html
CW Sprinting - Beginners Guide - http://www.contesting.com/articles/198
K5TR's practice audio - http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/audio/sprint_practice/
How to finish a CW Sprint QSO -
http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/2003-08/msg00036.html

Sprint practice rules:
http://www.ncjweb.com/sprintrules.php
We'll go by the actual Sprint rules (not NS rules).  eg: high power is
allowed, no duplicate QSOs are allowed on the same band (but QSOs with
the same station are encouraged on 20-80m), we use the same QSY rules as
in the real Sprint.

Suggested frequencies: 3545, 7045, 14045 kHz +/-
Note these are 5kHz higher than the suggested frequencies in the rules.
   This is in an attempt to encourage us to stay away from the 7040 kHz
QRP calling frequency, and standardize our practice Sprint CW
frequencies at 45 kHz above the bottom of the band.  Please be courteous
to ongoing QSOs.  Given the QSY nature of Sprint, it's easy to step on
someone by mistake.  Let's avoid frequency fights with ragchewers during
the practices.

Thursday, January 27
7:30pm-8:00pm PST - Sprint CW practice
8pm PST - NCCC net on 3853 kHz +/-