[CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R with KENWOOD Radios +++

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Jan 23 09:51:31 EST 2005

At 09:29 PM 1/22/2005, Randy Thompson, K5ZD wrote:

>I use WriteLog and the W5XD external keyer for SO2R.  One serial port from
>the radio and I get full SO2R switching all from the keyboard. Plus it
>handles the CW sending and radio PTT. And it has a manual A/B switch and CW
>speed control so I can operate without the computer being on.
>
>Can't understand why people mess with any of the other solutions.

Except for the single serial port (does Writelog support USB?) I get the
same capabilities from my TopTen DXD, plus a $30 Winkey.  Makes the cost
with the W5XD unit about a wash, except that I don't use (and haven't
liked) Writelog.  But LPT ports are going away, so sooner or later ....

Maybe it is time for the Windows logging software people and the SO2R
hardware people to get together and agree on a standard way of performing
"traditional" SO2R LPT port functions via USB (A/B switching, PTT, CW and
band data, at least), so that everyone could work to a common interface.

73, Pete N4ZR