[CQ-Contest] Voice Automation Enhancements and the future

Jim Smith jimsmith at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 29 02:35:46 EST 2005

Hi Mike,

We currently have contests in which require no operator coding or
decoding skills and have had for decades.  They are RTTY contests.
People seem to like them.  The good ops with the good stations and
locations are the ones who win them.

Automated CW decoding is here now and few contests specifically disallow
its use.

There would still be differences in occupied bandwidth, the quality of
the decoding devices and the skill of the operator in using them.

Development of speech recognition systems which would work well under
contest conditions would be a fertile ground for ham experimentation
which I suspect isn't being done by others.  i.e. while I may well be
wrong, I doubt that any commercial or academic enterprise is doing
research on speech recognition with 1 kHz or worse channel spacing.

So, while the mechanisms may change, I suspect that the fundamentals of
contesting won't.

73 de Jim Smith   VE7FO