[CQ-Contest] Everyone uses CT

Craig Cook craig.n7or at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 21:44:36 EDT 2005

Am I the only one, so far, who got the joke? Or maybe it wasn't a joke. I'll
find out in 2015.
Oh, BTW, I find that MM emulates TR just fine. He even just added a slightly
improved version of "AUTO START SENDING NOW" or whatever it was called.
Works pretty good. I used to think that TR in DOS was the only way to do a
serious contest, then I realized I have never been in one, so who cares? If
Windows crashes, I'll go do something else, preferrably outdoors, if I
haven't quit already. I'm afraid I burned out, completely. At least new
pretty software to look at with lots of geeky stuff makes it slightly
interesting.
Coke, Pepsi. Ford, Chevrolet. Whatever.
73

On 7/6/05, Tree <tree at kkn.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:33:34PM -0000, N7MAL wrote:
>
> > Gee excuse me if I'm not surprised by N6TR's response. I will take issue
> with it though. How many multi-multi networked stations are there, 10 or 12.
> My guess would be around 1% of the total contest stations. So from where I
> sit and 99% of the contesting community:'Who Cares'
>
> Yup - could be. I was just pointing out that those who liked TR better
> did have an option when invited to a multi-multi that used CT.
>
> > If the insert key is so wrong why are upcoming contest logging
> programmers like N1MM implementing it.
>
> I can't answer that. I can only tell you that typing in a callsign
> that just answered your CQ takes time - and that if you have to take
> some extra time to move your hands from the normal typing position
> to hit a key to start sending CW - this is wasted time. It just
> seemed more logical to me to use the big RETURN key to start the process.
>
> I suspect N1MM copied CT.
>
> This was just too obvious of a difference in philosophy between me and
> K1EA, so I had to write my own program.
>
> > Each programmer has to determine his 'niche' and go for it. I predict 5
> years from now you will be a full blown dinosaur, today you're just a baby
> dinosaur.
>
> I think you are selling me short. I would like to be a full blown dinosaur
> now. The whole DOS market is pretty much dead. After CT went "free", it
> destroyed what little market was left. I haven't put out a new release
> in a very long time.
>
> I don't mind being in the dinosaur niche. I guess that's why my contest
> scores are down - I don't use new techology logging software.
>
> > If TR had been the first computer contest logging program I used I would
> still, probably, be using today. CT came along first, for me, and I liked
> it. I tried TR in the early days but had already been exposed to CT. TR is a
> well written program and does exactly what it is supposed to do: 'LOG' a
> contest.
>
> I think the whole CT versus TR debate has played out. CT was first and
> won because of that.
>
> Tree

Craig - N7OR