[CQ-Contest] Everyone uses CT

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Thu Jul 7 13:40:25 EDT 2005

Isn't it great that we have so many fine contest logging programs from which
to choose? I've used all six of 'em -- CT, CT-Win, NA, TR, Writelog and N1MM
-- and they're all more than adequate. They have somewhat different
interfaces and features, but all are capable of performing well for newbies,
casual contesters, top-ten single-ops or major multis. These days, the
choice has more to do with personal preferences than features or
reliability. We should consider ourselves fortunate!

We're fortunate for another reason: some of us remember the days before
computerized logging, when rate was significantly limited by how fast you
could write (and erase) and you had to fill in dupe sheets by hand. The
speed and accuracy of log checking has reached previously unattainable
levels and UBN reporting now provides valuable feedback for improving
operating skill. Contesting has always been fun, but computerized logging
has made it a lot more fun!

CT deserves special acclaim because it was a visionary accomplishment for
its day. CT paved the way for all the other programs by establishing the
core user interface and features required for logging. CT is still the
common denominator for many multis because it is so well known (less time
and effort to train new ops) and requires absolutely minimal surplus
computer gear. The hardware and software cost for super multis to switch to
one of the Windows-based programs would be substantial and, I think,
unnecessary. Most of the features provided by the newer programs are simply
not needed in the M/M environment, which often consists of repeatedly
pushing F1 and grabbing packet spots. Perhaps rate could be improved with
TR's Enter feature, but would it be worth the re-training cost?

With the exception of the big multis, it's not true that CT is the choice of
most serious contesters. That was probably true a few years ago, but no
longer. Many top single ops have switched to Writelog, TR, N1MM or NA
because they all handle SO2R better than CT. Others have switched to
Writelog or N1MM because they want to run the logging program on
state-of-the art computers running the latest versions of Windows, which no
longer support booting under DOS-only. Others have switched because of one
annoying long-standing bug or another (all the programs have these.) Still
others have switched because the Windows-based products offer neat features
not possible under DOS. It's a slow process of migration because some ops
were initially turned off by the inevitable bugs in early versions of the
new programs, and some have been intimidated by the prospect of having to
configure the new programs and learn a different user interface. Perfectly
understandable.

Writelog is my personal favorite. It's a gem for SO2R. Writelog is now so
mature and reliable that I can't think of anything I'd want fixed or added.
But I'm sure others will think of new features to further enhance the
contesting experience. For that reason, it's always worth some time to check
out the latest version of each program. Besides, it's worth becoming
familiar with all of them -- you never know which one will be in use at the
next multi you join.

73, Dick WC1M