[CQ-Contest] Station-Specific Incentives

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jul 7 10:33:10 EDT 2005

VE4XT wrote:
 >I think it's time we lightened up and looked for real violations of the
rules instead of trying to fabricate them where none exists. At a time when
we should be doing all we can to encourage the use of our frequencies by
amateurs, that this kind of activity is shat upon is hard to fathom.

         Kelly, the key issue is not Packet, it's station-
specific incentives (free videos or whatever).  It's
interesting that there are no contest rules prohibiting
this and nothing would prevent the following:

*********************NEWS FLASH*********************

                 W1BUX CQWW Multiplier Incentive:

1.  Any fixed station working me and only me in the CQWW
for a unique multiplier will receive $XXX via PayPal.

2.  Any expedition station working me and only me in
the CQWW will receive $XXX to cover their trip expenses.

Granted these are extreme hypothetical examples, but once
we start offering incentives to work specific stations,
we are on a very slippery slope that has no boundaries.
The concept of a level playing field, which is behind the
spirit and intent of all contest rules, will very quickly
vanish down that slippery slope.  BTW, this is the same
reason WRTC goes to some lengths to prevent publicizing
the identity of contestants' calls...i.e. to prevent
"patriotic patronizing" by home country cheerleaders.

         As I said before, I'm sure the Finns did not dream
this up to try to win the IARU low power category,  but
I wonder what comes next when others see what they did?
Where does it end???

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV