[CQ-Contest] Operating Methods or Equipment?

Peter Chamalian w1rm at arrl.net
Sat Jul 16 08:40:12 EDT 2005

As the others have said, it takes time and practice.  As for equipment, yes,
you do need good antennas -- far more important than a KW.

In my early days of contesting (mid '60's) I started with wire antennas.  I
did OK but could not get beyond a certain point with regard to higher levels
of competition.  In those days I was very active in the CD Parties which
were held 4 times a year.  K2EIU/5 (Now N6RO) and I (I was W1BGD then) would
battle it out with Ken being number 1 and I number 2.  I wasn't able to beat
Ken until I put up some beams and a new level of stations to work opened up
for me.  From then on, I was able to beat him.  Even with a kw, it was the
antennas that made the big difference!

My contest season started with the WAE in August and would end with IARU in
July!  If there wasn't a contest on some particular weekend then I was on
the air working stations.

Currently I run a Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V at 150 watts (I stopped using the
amp so as to not annoy neighbors).  Antennas are Force 12, C31XR at 80 feet
for 20-15-10, and MAG240N at 90 feet for 40.  80 is a delta loop.

My suggestion is to put your money into antennas and your focus into
operating -- get into as many contests as you can.  Consider them training
(which they are).  You will learn something from each one -- and that's how
you build your skills.

Good luck and stick with it!

Pete, W1RM