[CQ-Contest] Operating Methods or Equipment?

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Sat Jul 16 09:40:59 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:54:44PM -0500, KE5CTY Bob wrote:
> This is really discouraging:

It should not be discouraging.

> Not crying on anybody's shoulder, just trying to find out what I am
> missing here:
>
> I thought I did pretty well for my second contest *ever* and then I see
> scores like the one below. As you can see, I was also SO(Single
> Operator) but running LP(LowPower) and worked all bands CW(CW Only):

There are several factors, the biggest one is that as you
state this was "my second contest *ever*".  I am willing to
bet that this was not UN7LZ's second contest or even his
20th.

I think you did great for your second contest.  I am not
sure I did that well in my second contest but I do not
recall any of the numbers from it.  I do recall what my
first contest was so I can look up those numbers.
(I made 22 contacts.)

> working just 10 or so more hours, going high power with beams and a
> tower make *that* much difference in scoring??

High power and beams and a diffrent location and have experiance
can make contest scores very diffrent.

A number of years ago on this reflector a question was asked
about contest skills and at the time WN4KKN (now N5KO) replied
with a wonderful answer.

You can read it here:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/1996-02/msg00679.html

--