[CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Wed Jul 27 13:05:20 EDT 2005

At 04:53 AM 7/27/2005, Mills, Wayne  N7NG wrote:
>Banks would love to use PKI (or similar technology) because their own
>security stinks and they know it. They don't use it because the general
>public can't handle it. We think hams can.
>
>Comparing banks and LoTW is comparing apples and oranges, however.
>Simplifications are possible, but until the "industry" comes up with a
>transparent alternative, digital signatures are not on the table.  When
>you understand the differences, we can talk.
>
>73,  Wayne Mills, N7NG/1, Manager
>        Membership Services Department

This is a classic response from an organization that has made a mistake and
won't admit it. The heels are dug in and no amount of reason will change
their minds. I've seen it before many times. I'm sorry the ARRL is taking
that same road, but I'm not really surprised. The ARRL is about as
hidebound a bureaucracy as you will ever see.

It was earlier postulated that someone at the ARRL DX desk had been burned
by fake QSL cards at some time and as a result, has gone overboard with
security. I suspect that is exactly what has happened. They are scared of
another fiasco causing them to be disgraced and possibly lose their jobs.
As a result, we all suffer.

If you would like LoTW to be simplified and yet remain secure, please write
your Division Director. Those folks are elected, unlike the appointed staff
at ARRL, and they WILL listen to reason.

For now, it looks like we're stuck, guys.

Bill, W6WRT