[CQ-Contest] RESEND Re: NAQP Rules and the District of Columbia

Eric Rosenberg wd3q at starpower.net
Thu Jun 2 15:37:02 EDT 2005

Forgive my first posting. It was a draft that had clearly not been
proofread!

Here's a more coherent version:

------------------

Some background:

The House of Representatives consists of the following members elected by
those living in their respective districts:

435 Representatives, proportionally (i.e, based on population) from the 50
States

4 Delegates, one each from American Samoa, The District of Columbia,
Guam,  the Virgin Islands. None have voting rights on the floor of the
House.

1 Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.  The Resident Commissioner does
not have voting rights on the floor of the House.

The Residence Bill of July 16, 1790, established a site along the Potomac
to be the capital. This federal district was first called the Territory
of Columbia and the federal city the City of Washington. The name changed
to the District of Columbia in 1793.

The District of Columbia is governed under the District of Columbia Home
Rule Act of 1973. While we pay federal and local taxes, vote in
presidential and local elections, serve in the armed forces, serve on
federal juries, etc., *all* legislative and budget actions passed by our
elected City Council and Mayor must be approved by Congress before being
enacted.  For those who are curious, Congressional oversight is often
cited as a contributing factor to both the inability of the District to
impose a commuter tax and the regular moves in Congress to move
government offices out of the District into Maryland and Virginia.

I cannot speak to the specifics of Indian reservations, national parks.
etc. other than to say that they are represented in the Executive Branch
(specifically the Department of Interior).  For information regarding
Indian reservations, try http://www.doi.gov/bureau-indian-affairs.html

The Bureau of Indian Affairs has jurisdiction over the Reservation land.
 Residents are governed by tribal and federal law, and vote in federal
elections (President, members of the Senate and House of Representatives).
It is my understanding that in at least one state, those living on
Reservations are not considered to be citizens of that state, are not
counted in the State census, do not have State level (elected)
representation, nor are they subject to State income tax nor or sales tax
for goods sold or purchased on the Reservation.

73,
Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC