[CQ-Contest] IRLP Contest

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Wed Mar 16 07:27:52 EST 2005

EI5DI writes:

> A quote from the story:
> "We are trying to promote IRLP as a viable means of communications
> and also to introduce newcomers to DX IRLP Style."
>
> This is not amateur radio.  If the ARRL promotes this technology
> I suggest it considers a name change to AIRL - American Internet
> Relay League.

I heartily agree ... IRLP and/or Echolink are not, in any way, shape
or form, amateur radio.  Their promotion by ARRL is a bigger threat
to amateur radio than BPL, local tower ordinances, local regulation
of RFI, and homeowner associations combined.  If IRLP/echolink
reach any level of popular acceptance, it gives every government
and corporation with designs on amateur spectrum a very strong
argument that the spectrum is no longer required for the amateur
service.

For ARRL to promote IRLP/echolink on its web page and in the pages
of QST is completely irresponsible.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK