[CQ-Contest] biggest 20M array in the world ?

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 16 23:21:00 EST 2005

I worked WA6ZZK.  The biggest beam in the South belonged to K4SKI in North
Carolina.  He had a 100 foot boom made from Rohn 25 and started with 9
elements but cut that 8 in the early 70's.  A friend, MP4BIN/W5DYJ (he had a
later A71 call) told me K4SKI was broadcast strength on 20 SSB.

Dunc Carter, then W5IOU, built big quads for himself and W5WMU in the late
60's and early 70's.  He had one monster that worked 40 to 10.  Dunc also
designed the big 2 el 80 quad that was featured in a QST article mounted on
a W3's Telrex Big Bertha.

I also like to recall the 75 meter antenna Jim Brookman used in the early
70's.  This was a rotatable vertical array with full size half wave wires
off a high tower attached to the boom of a big beam.  The guys in the
Northeast was surprised  to be beaten to DX by a lowly W4.  Jim says it was
a great antenna.  You just had to make sure the elements did not snag while
rotating.

I also remember talking to a G3 who was VS1JV in the late 50's.  He
remembers W6VSS(now K6UA)being so loud on 40 phone during the DX contest
that the local commercial station operators confused him with a nearby
Singapore commercial station VSS.

Dave K4JRB