[CQ-Contest] Real emergencies

N7MAL N7MAL at CITLINK.NET
Wed Mar 30 13:51:32 EST 2005

I have been hammered pretty well both publicly and privately by a great number of 'jail-house' lawyers. I would like to suggest, in the most positive manner, when you attempt to quote a rule, to make a point, you need to read all the words in the rule and not just the words that you like.
"§ 97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.
............when normal communication systems are not available."
I have traveled extensively in the State of Ohio and there are many forms of "normal" communications available to motorists traveling the inter-state road system. Cell phone coverage is excellent, call-boxes are everywhere, every truck stop monitors CB trucker frequencies.

As to the comment "following an arcane rule", Part 97 is neither secretive, mysterious, or out-dated. In fact it is fairly easy to understand, considering it was written by lawyers, and is up-dated as required.

The chaos that exists today on 27 mhz and the reason there are truckers polluting 10 meters is because those people refuse to be bound rules and regulations. Amateur Radio is better than that, the rules governing Amateur Radio, and our ability to follow the rules, is what sets us apart and far above the 27mhz crowd.
W3TX mentioned he had a similar incident. No he didn't his communication was legal, it was with another Amateur Radio station. W5KFT's incident was 100% illegal by every possible definition.

MAL           N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
http://www.ctaz.com/~suzyq/N7mal.htm

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bob Naumann
  To: cq-contest at contesting.com
  Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 13:32
  Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real emergencies

  What Bryan reported that he did was right - period.

  Someone contacted him and stated it was an emergency.

  The FCC Rules Say:

  "§ 97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.

  No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any
  means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential
  communication
  needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate
  protection of property when normal communication systems are
  not available."

  73.

  N5NJ