[CQ-Contest] Real emergencies

Robert Higgins rwhiggins at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 31 11:30:14 EST 2005

N&MAL wrote:
"§ 97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.
............when normal communication systems are not available."
I have traveled extensively in the State of Ohio and there are many forms of
"normal" communications available to motorists traveling the inter-state
road system. Cell phone coverage is excellent, call-boxes are everywhere,
every truck stop monitors CB trucker frequencies

So are we to assume that if you heard an unlicensed person making an
emergency call on an amateur frequency you would either:

a) Ignore it since you are not permitted to communicate with a non-amateur
on a frequency assigned to the amateur service.               or

b) Would return that persons call and tell them " First, get a cell phone,
or find a call box, or get to a truck stop, and if none of those work, call
me back and I'll see what I can do".

Anyone would be stung by the criticism you've received. But, this is not
about "jail house" lawyering (I'm not sure what knowledge you have about the
criminal background of posters on this reflector!). It is not about what is
happening on CB or 10 meters. It is about what you, or any reasonable person
would do if they were confronted by an actual emergency call.

For myself, I'd answer the call and provide any assistance I could. I'd be
happy to defend my actions against any adminstrative proceeding afterward.

73
Bob K4LW