[CQ-Contest] QSO Penalties

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Sun May 15 22:55:14 EDT 2005

> This three QSO penalty I believe is carry over from the days
> when you had to check your logs for dupes, you missed some,
> you were penalized for it 3 more times. I can swallow that,
> you have control over the process and no reason to claim dupes
> (which was pain for log checkers to verify).

Yes, the three QSO penalty comes from the days of manual log
checking.  Since it was impossible to cross check every QSO
in every log, the sponsors checked the top logs as carefully
as possible and spot checked the others.  Under those conditions,
the assumption was that for every bad QSO or unremoved dupe there
were others ... thus the three (actually four - the bad QSO and
three additional QSOs were removed) QSO penalty.

That said, in this day of computers, super check partial,
software that will record the contest and "log scrubbing"
a three qso penalty may not be entirely out of line.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK