[CQ-Contest] WW SSB

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Nov 1 07:27:12 EST 2005

This subject has been high on ham radio's agenda at ITU conferences at least since WARC 79, and believe it or not, change is coming.

The following is from http://www.iaru.org/rel030703.html

" The big news for radio amateurs is that there will be a dramatic improvement in the 40-meter band! After weeks of debate and efforts to resolve great differences between numerous proposals, including strong positions for no change, the conference agreed to shift broadcasting stations in Regions 1 and 3 out of the 7100-7200 kHz band and to reallocate the band to the amateur service in those two regions. The allocation in Region 2 of 7000-7300 kHz remains exclusively amateur. The broadcasting band in Regions 1 and 3 will become 7200-7450 kHz and in Region 2, 7300-7400 kHz. The change will take effect on 29 March 2009, less than six years from now -- a relatively short time by ITU standards.

In Regions 1 and 3 the 7100-7200 kHz band will become exclusively amateur on that date. A footnote containing the names of countries that are mainly in Region 3 and the Arab States makes the band also available to the fixed and mobile services in those countries on a primary basis."

RAC reports, in http://www.rac.ca/~darf/40metre.htm , that there is some risk amateurs may lose 7200-7300 at WARC 2007, but  it's probably too early to be either optimistic or pessimistic about that.

73, Pete N4ZR