[CQ-Contest] Thoughts on 40 SSB

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Tue Nov 1 22:25:43 EST 2005

Not to pour petrol on the fire, but if R1 7040 kc boundary is, with a few
exceptions, simply a bandplan & not a regulatory requirement, then
why is it that gentlemanly EU dominate the band as seen from R3?

Where does rest of the world get to transmit or listen?

Gentlemanly DL-portable-HS0 deliberately jams me for using
RTTY on 14069 kc because once again, gentlemanly EU has filled
14070 to sometimes well beyond 14120 kc in a contest.  In R3,
go too high & the SSB chaps start to get a bit upset - especially
if you are in R3 yourself.

 From where I am, the rest of world is trying to deal with EU chaos &
then EU types slag us off for doing so.

I don't really like SSB, but I can operate the mode anywhere I like
below 29.7 Mc, full stop.

Ooops - I just told a lie.  It used to be that we weren't allowed to use
SSB between 50-50.1 Mc to protect beacons & I guess that went
into the bin thanks to ITU-RR S.25 change - now only encumbered
by restriction to not transmit TV or pulse below 5725 Mc.

The DUs & YBs who work SSB every day below 7010 kc are also
entirely legal & will be there for a reason, too.

First step towards being able to get along is to understand others.
Everyone seems to be applying their standards here & not able
to see big picture, so IMHO not gonna get anywhere with this.
Sadly, this reminds of political/ideological/religious/ethnic
intolerance.

Exclusive & primary allocations to amateur service by ITU-RR are
regularly violated by even first-world, rule-of-law, poster-child-for-
democracy countries.  As time goes by & thanks to recent events,
situation will only get worse.  I sure hope 7100-7200 kc can be
used come 2009, but so many of you seem to have no idea what
is going on out here/there/everywhere.

73, VR2BrettGraham