[CQ-Contest] Phonetics

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Wed Nov 2 07:16:07 EST 2005

It is obvious that Phonetics are a pain-in-the-butt for a lot of
contesters.  Whoever came up with the "official" list must have been a
golfer.  "Golf" simply sucks...I found this out during Field Day with our
local club (W6GGF).  After wayyyy too many people NOT getting the callsign
correctly, I reverted to the time-proven use of "GERMANY" from my old DXing
days, and had no further problems.

Here's a concept...

Why don't WE as contesters come up with a UCP (list of "Universal CONTESTER
Phonetics") that can solve most of the problems?  Contest Sponsors can
publish them along with their event rules.

Yes, more than one syllable phonetics will slow down an exchange, but much
less, IMHO, than the wasted time asking for multiple repeats.

One person reported a problem with "Mike".  I don't think I have ever heard
anyone have a problem with "MEXICO"...or DENMARK...or AMERICA, etc.

WE have an opportunity to improve things...if WE want to.

Regardless of any changes, after reflecting on last weekend's CQ WW SSB, I
think *some* "DX" SSB ops need to slowwwwwwwww down their verbalization of
***ANY*** phonetics if they want to be understood (especially those with
H-E-A-V-Y accents).

73...

Rick, K6VVA