[CQ-Contest] Another view for 1-pointers

Joe Subich, W4TV k4ik at subich.com
Wed Nov 30 21:20:17 EST 2005

VE3IAE/EU1SA writes:

>   Implementing of 1-pointers would turn the CQ WW contests
> upside down and might totally discourage people from
> participation.

Not hardly ... CQWW RTTY already includes 1 point for "own
country QSOs" and multipliers for each US State/VE Province.
That hardly discourages participation.  In my opinion, it
increases participation.

>   Quite a similar thing might happen with big US stations,
> because working domestic stations is always easier. The rest
> of the World can relax with virtually no chance to win...

No "big gun" US station is going to waste the time trying to
fill the log with weak domestic backscatter signals on the
high bands.  The W6/W7/VE6 stations will get credit for QSOs
that are DX enough to be intercontinental for most European
stations.

>   One way or another, it would be a totally different contest.

It would be a much better contest - with greater participation
from W/VE stations.

  1) during periods of low solar activity it would provide
      greater activity on the low bands
  2) during times of high solar activity it would provide
      an incentive to spend more time on the low bands for
      the additional multipliers.
  3) It would also encourage more low band activity by non-US/VE
      stations in order to collect more of the state/province
      mults.
  4) It would balance the scoring between US/VE and Europe
  5) It would balance scoring between IH9/EA8/EA9/etc. and
      Caribbean/Northern South America

>   Am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong.  Applying the CQWW RTTY rules to the SSB
and CW events would make them significantly better.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV