[CQ-Contest] A portable rig for contesting?

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Mon Oct 3 11:57:00 EDT 2005

Duncan, EA5ON, wrote:

 > Have no experience with the other rigs you mention but I think if I had the
 > money and based on what I've read, I'd get the Elecraft K2/100. Some people
 > say it's a bit sparse on SSB, but if you're planning on using it for CW,
 > you should be fine.

I also have a K2 which is a great little rig (RX is hot), and had planned
to take it along with a bandpass filter to "monitor" as quasi-SO2R but
decided not worth the effort with all the other tasks at hand.  My K2 (low
power basic version) would not have driven my AL-80B :-)

The TS-480S has both 'Data' and 'Remote' ports built-in which are
*critical* for me:

1. Data Port - 6 pin mini DIN that connects my SignaLink audio card widget
for DVK type operation directly out of the notebook computer (for playing
.wav files/SSB).

2. Remote Port - 8 pin mini DIN that connects to my ARB-704 relay buffer
widget that goes to the amplifier 'key' line input.

In terms of making expedient changes to various rig configs on-the-fly
during contesting, the TS-480S control head functionality wins.  The K2
does have an optional module to use a 2nd RX antenna which the TS-480S does
not, however.

FYI & 73...

Rick, K6VVA