[CQ-Contest] Competing in the Daylight

Patrick Dayshaw w7tmt at dayshaw.net
Sun Oct 9 20:30:58 EDT 2005

Regarding the statement below "...but it would not stop the post contest
'massaging' of log data."

On that topic I was rather shocked/surprised today when I submitted this
year's small-time effort in the California QSO Party and was offered the
chance, on the sponsors log submittal Web site, to (at least in my view),
"massage my log" after the contest ended. When I submitted the log their new
software made note of the fact that I had a missing county on one exchange
and offered me the opportunity of correcting and/or modifying that entry. I
passed since the contest was over but what exactly does the NCCC think they
are doing in offering the chance post-contest to correct mistakes? I suppose
I could have looked up the questionable entry and gained a point or two
(assuming the station wasn't running a portable operation) but to have the
sponsor actually point out an obvious logging error and allow and/or
encourage post contest correction seems a bit much.

In all other respects (as always) the NCCC did a great job in promoting and
supporting their annual event and the California stations turned out in
numbers and did a great job as well. However, I'm not all that sure that
allowing/encouraging post-contest log changes (in the body of the log)
during the submission process, is such a great idea.

73,
Patrick
W7TMT

Opening up the UBN's/logs would be a step in the right direction IMHO, but
it would not stop the post contest 'massaging' of log data.

Snip...

73's
Guy, N7ZG