[CQ-Contest] contest recording

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Mon Oct 10 09:19:37 EDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 09:35:38AM +0200, Jan Erik Holm wrote:
> I?m woundering about how much HD space that might
> be needed to record a 48 hour contest, N1MM or WL
> software.
> I know it depends on how many Q?s one makes but if
> someone with experience just could give some ball
> park figures.

I use a computer running linux.  I use sox and lame
to do the recording.  The lame setting I have been
using that gives me the quality that I like uses a little
under 21 Mb/hour.  I restart the recordings at the top
of each hour using a cron job.  I have found it is
much eaiser to deal with 24 or 36 or 48  21Mb files
than it is to mess with one big file.

I am not an expert with lame ... but here is what I have been
using most recently with very good results.

sox -t ossdsp -w -s -r 44100 -c 2 /dev/dsp -t cdr - | \
lame --verbose -r -b48 --scale 3.5 - contest.mp3

Here is the IARU contest first hour:
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/audio/contests/IARU/2005/2005-IARU-K5TR_2005-07-09-12:00.mp3

There are more contests here:
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/audio/contests/

If you poke around in there you will notice that there are some
smaller and maybe larger file sizes - this is because I have been
playing with the lame settings.  Some use VBR and one or two are
mono recordings because I did not notice that I was not recording
in stereo.  I use stereo most of the time since I want to record
the two radio audio.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net