[CQ-Contest] An Innocent Question about Grid-4's/Grid-Fields and HF

Radiosporting Fan radiosporting at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 21:33:32 EDT 2005

> > Grid-4 or Grid-Field
> > based scoring for HF events seems non-political
> > and easy to implement, yet it isn't (for the
> > v-a-s-t majority of HF events).  Why is that?
>
> It may *seem* non-political, but that would be a
> naive observation.

I used the term "non-political" within the context
used by map makers.  A political map changes over
time, whim and military action.  Grids and Fields
don't, of course. :)

> If you implement the same scoring method
> for all contests, there is no difference between
> them...they become contest fast food.  Yuck.

You may have misunderstood the intent of my inquiry,
Lee.  I am simply asking why grid/field based scoring
hasn't "taste tested" (using your analogy) well for
more HF events.  That's all.

It seems that tradition and history has a lot to do
with it.  Thanks to everyone for the info.  I truly
appreciate it.

Regards,
Ev