[CQ-Contest] New Contest Country Files - 23 October 2005

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Tue Oct 25 06:44:42 EDT 2005

What I am saying is that the software should always 'suggest' (as ad1c puts
it) the correct zone for a station according to the contest rules.  If that
station insists on sending a different zone I recommend logging the
'correct' one which is what your software should be suggesting... then add a
note to the log about what they are really sending and sort it out later.
We know that for ua9s/t/w they will be scored as 16 regardless of what they
send so that is what should be logged for your real time zone multiplier
checking in your logger to work properly.

So here is your sanity check.  You call a kh6 and he sends you zone 22.  do
you log 22 and go the rest of the contest thinking you have worked zone 22
so that packet spots don't show for that zone and your logger won't credit
you with a double multiplier for a vu2?  Or do you tell the kh6 that he is
really in zone 31 and that he should send that as the report?  And then you
log 31... and then when you hear him give 23 to the next guy do you make a
note that he was sending serial numbers????  Or do you really log what you
heard and blindly go through the rest of the contest not really knowing what
zones you have worked.

I'll bet that you log 31 and move on.  So why should ua9s/t/w be any
different, just because they are sending an incorrect report you should log
it without question?  And then have your multiplier checklist be off for the
rest of the contest so you possibly lose credit for a zone 17 that you never
worked?  So why in this case should your logger not 'suggest' the correct
zone 16 instead of the commonly sent erroneous zone 17 so at least you get a
bit of warning that they are sending the wrong report?  N1mm logger used to
work properly because we got it to use the wl_cty.dat file the way it was
designed, now with ad1c's change to make writelog show the same incorrect
info that apparently ct shows for those stations his file won't work
properly on n1mm logger or writelog.  So he is perpetuating the error by not
providing the tool for everyone to get that initial warning about the
incorrect exchange.

Again, if you want the correct wl_cty.dat you can get it from my web site
at: http://www.k1ttt.net/n1mm/wl_cty_1505_k1ttt.zip
For those of you using loggers that don't work with this file and don't
properly show ua9s/t/w in zone 16 you should contact your software provider
to get a proper file.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net