[CQ-Contest] Important Issues

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Oct 25 19:35:23 EDT 2005

On Oct 25, 2005, at 2:30 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

> When us old guys were young, radio was still something of a
> marvelous thing.

At 44, I don't consider myself "old". And radio is still magic.

> Now, radio is
> everywhere and kids don't see any special magic in talking to someone
> through QRM/QRN when they can do it with a computer with a large S/N
> ratio, including voice.

I disagree. Most kids never have the opportunity to know about it.
We've done too good a job of keeping it a secret.

My daughter's middle school has a ham radio club. Kids are more
interested than you'd think. Biggest problem is overcoming the "nerd"
image of amateur radio.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901