[CQ-Contest] A proposal

W2RU - Bud Hippisley W2RU at frontiernet.net
Wed Aug 2 20:18:33 EDT 2006

ku8e at bellsouth.net wrote:
>   I think these people who claim that contest activity take up all the bands have a "poor" excuse.
>
>   During a DX contest only 20/15/10 meters are being used during the day and 160/80/40 and maybe
>   20 meters at night.
Aw, c'mon, Jeff.  You know better than that.  Why do you think only
160/80/40 are only being used at night?  Because there's no propagation
during the day, that's why.

You're assuming all non-contesters are rag-chewers who don't care if the
guy who answers their CQ is across town.  To the contrary, there's a lot
of real competitive DXers who want the same bands and the same
propagation at the same times as the contesters do.  I think I'm pretty
"pro-contest" but there's been many times when I've found my DXing
frequencies obliterated by a contest I had no interest in.
>     I would like to see a few short operating events on the WARC bands. Maybe something like a
>   Sprint format and low power so you couldn't just sit on a frequency and CQ.
Leave it alone.  As someone else posted, we contesters will lose
whatever debating arguments we may have.

Bud, W2RU