[CQ-Contest] "?" not equal to "QRL?"

Guy Molinari guy_molinari at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 9 22:54:44 EDT 2006

I agree with Mark.

I'm a relative newcomer, but "?" to me means a request for a repeat.   This
would be kinda confusing to me.

Couldn't this also mean, "I tuned across this freq and I know someone just
called CQ.   I didn't get the call sign so I'm dropping an "?" to get the
running station to resend so I can keep the S&P rate going".

Here's what seems reasonable to me  IMHO.

1)  You tune across an ostensibly clear freg.
2)  Wait 5-8 seconds.   There could be a qso going on.   This involves 2
stations (The whole zero beat/tight filter argument seems like a red herring
to me.)
3) Send "QRL?" and then wait at least 3-4 seconds for a response.  If you
want to go the extra mile and drop another one, then great.

Uncle Riley said "Just spin the dial".   If you are looking for a clear freq
without reasonable due dilligence, then aren't you in violation of the FCC
rules?

Just keep spinnin' the dial

My .02 cents.

73 - Guy