[CQ-Contest] "?" not equal to "QRL?"

Mark Beckwith n5ot at n5ot.com
Wed Aug 9 23:24:14 EDT 2006

Silly me, I guess I made the assumption that one should only inquire if the frequency is in use if they have first determined that it is void of signals.  I am pretty sure that most people who send "?" on my CQ frequency while I'm in mid-QSO with a weak one haven't listened well enough yet, and are in too big of a hurry.

Also, there's a lot to be said for the old prosign "didit dit" which is shorter even than a question mark, and which does mean "is this frequency in use?"

Finally I agree with Jim that even after you think it's clear and you actually get out a CQ before you get told the frequency is in use, you ought to give it up and move on in a gentlemanly fashion.

Mark, N5OT