[CQ-Contest] ARRL says no to opening logs...

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Aug 14 14:01:25 EDT 2006

Seems to me there is a fair difference between LOTW submission and opening a log, and between knowing you have a Q on 40 and actually fabricating a Q.  I think the key is in the words "ALL essential QSO elements" - there is no way to get time from most of the "see if you're in the log" sites that I have seen.  Also seems unlikely that Wayne would have promulgated a rule that would deter people from using LOTW.

If a site actually disclosed all the essential elements, I still don't see how that lets me get in the log or claim a QSO unless I get a buddy to use my callsign and actually make the contact.  In that case, it makes no difference whether the info is disclosed or not.

Am I missing some elaborate cheating scenario here?

73, Pete N4ZR