[CQ-Contest] 1966 vs 2006 [was: Why did the Canadians (PT5M)beat the

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 22 01:39:50 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 21:40, Bill Tippett wrote:
>          This can also sometimes indicate a station
> running excessive power.  They can generate a nice
> pileup of weak stations calling, but if gain is
> not reciprocal (due to antenna/location rather than
> power) on BOTH transmit and receive, they will not
> be able to hear many of the callers.  I was in a QRP

Or, (at least on the high bands) the CQing station has a severe QRM
problem on his end, involving stations you can't hear due to propagation
differences.  (for example, the QRM source is, say, 200km from your
location on 15 meters)  Especially true on phone or in otherwise crowded
contests where the CQer is unlikely to be able to find a frequency open
enough to hear weak callers.

BTW I agree with the theory that there are layers of stations.  Whether
2dB is enough to tell the difference I can't say.  But improvements I've
made at my station over the years have brought in the ability to work
new sets of stations, and when I visit stations better than mine I find
additional sets of folks who I can't work from home.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66