[CQ-Contest] to dupe or not to dupe

Mark Beckwith n5ot at n5ot.com
Fri Dec 1 09:28:15 EST 2006

> I remember being aggravated in the 2006 WPX CW when a VE5 club
> station refused to work me because he thought we were a dupe.
> I never did get that prefix multiplier.

This can be very frustrating.  I think the strongest message to get across
under these circumstances to the guy telling you you're a dupe is:

"You're not in my log."

On phone this is easy because you can use your tone of voice to make sure he
understands that, no matter what his computer screen says about you, you
know for sure your computer screen says you have not worked him.  Done in a
polite way, this always seems to do the trick and before you know it, he's
sending his exchange again (and hopefully logging you).

On CW it requires that the person you're talking to can copy code - an
assumption you just can't make anymore, so it can get tricky.

73 - Mark, N5OT