[CQ-Contest] I can see the difference...

Hank Kohl K8DD k8dd at arrl.net
Mon Dec 11 20:38:56 EST 2006

Bernard--Mary--2 wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 03:25:34PM -0800, Ken Widelitz wrote:
>
>> Given the recent discussion regarding what constitutes assistance, I propose
>> those of us on the reflector who have made it into the Top Ten box, or who
>> strive to do so, enter into a gentlemen's agreement for Sweepstakes, above
>> and beyond the published rules and our personal interpretation of them, that
>> we will abide by the following:
>>
>> 1. We will not call CQ indicating a needed section;
>> 2. We will not solicit, over the air, during the contest, information
>> regarding a needed section;
>> 3. We will not set up schedules prior to the contest;
>> 4. We will not request, prior to or during the contest, that we be passed
>> any unsolicited information during the contest;
>> 5. We may act on any information overheard on the air so long as we have not
>> solicited that information in any way;
>>
>> I believe all other scenarios are covered by the existing rules. This
>> gentlemen's agreement does not apply to the Unlimited or Multi category.
>>

> I can agree to all of this - in fact this is how I have been operating the
> contest for ... well either all as long as I have been doing it
> or at least as far back as I can recall.

Wow !     I can see the difference .....  I never much new that "gray"
operating stuff was out there and being done till it was brought up
here......

Kinda like "rubber clocking" in the paper days.  I was amazed at Dayton
one year in the late 60's when an OT smiled and told me what it was, how
to do it, and then threatened to break all my mechanical 0.5 and 0.7
pencils if I tried it.

73    Hank    K8DD