[CQ-Contest] I can see the difference....

kr2q at optonline.net kr2q at optonline.net
Tue Dec 12 07:06:14 EST 2006

HI all:

Well, I guess I'm the guy who responded "in private" in total support of the idea...all points, one through five.

For those of you who don't like point one (no directional CQs), you have to put it in context
of the forum here on the reflector.

My "gut" reaction is the same as most of you....there is nothing wrong with Directional CQ's.

HOWEVER....in the context of the discussion and airing of options with "what to do when, if,
etc. " which might occur as the result of a directional CQ, then I fully agree that for "top
ten-ers" it should be easy to agree to not call directional CQ's.  Since I have never been
a "top ten" type in SS, I think I can make this comment in a completely unbiased manner
(well, biased by my type of logical thinking founded on nearly 30 years on "some" contest
committee).

If you don't understand why point 1 is important, then you should reread all of the discussion
that has taken place here.  Yes, it flies in the face of logic when viewed on its own, but it
makes perfect sense in the context of "how to fix this."

Just think about it this way....if the "top ten-ers" already do this or will do this, and you
don't agree and make the top then, explain your logic of not agreeing when "everybody else"
in the top ten does agree (it's voluntary).

For some folks, getting a sweep cup in the mail is the goal.
For other folks, earning the sweep is satisfaction enough.

Think about it and then decide.

de Doug KR2Q