[CQ-Contest] QSLing the Contact in the Sprint

Jim George n3bb at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 11 11:13:58 EST 2006

In the Sprint, callers should wait a moment until they hear the station QSL
the previous contact.  If the station is SO2Ring and a half second or a
second late in sending the QSL message, then it's very difficult as new
calling stations usually are not going to wait that long.  SO2R operators
should send that "TU" (which I use because it's two characters and more
likely to be heard) at the right timing, even if they have to interrupt
their CQ or their other-band QSO for a split second.

Usually, if the station *didn't* get all the exchange, he/she will send a
string of dits (as K5PI mentioned).  I will stop and ask the previous
station QSL? if I hear a string of dits.

Some judgement comes into this as well.  If the frequency is clear and if
the previous station is strong (we have good skip), and if it's a "known
good operator,"  I will allow a little slack on hearing the QSL
message.  If we are on back scatter and/or if the conditions are poor, and
I don't hear a clear QSL message, I will send some dits and ask the station
if he got it all OK.  I am QRO, and it would be much more sensitive if I
were a 100 Watt station, or (perish the thought) QRP.  Then, I would darn
well insist on hearing the QSL message, or I would delete the QSO.  But
running full power and with good antennas, I use the "good skip rule" and
"no QRM rule" to place some judgement into  whether or I not I stop and
send "QSL?" to the other station.  In a four hour Sprint, this question
occurs around five times, so while it's not routine, it does come up.

Jim George N3BB