[CQ-Contest] Cabrillo or Anarquia?

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Sun Jan 8 09:04:53 EST 2006

Let me try & reply to several comments with one post...

[call deleted as was only reply to me]: Apparently, Cabrillo was
intended to be pre-defined.  It is reasonable, as if one thinks about
it, a standard that is meant to work across the myriad of contests
could not be a standard if everyone & their brother could wing it as
they liked.  Whether or not it serves only selected contests is
perhaps more a matter of point-of-view (point being is contest in
spec already or not).

K1EP: Again, the standard will not succeed if everybody could wing
it as they pleased - extend this beyond contest name & perhaps
you might see how it isn't quite like a CD album or track title.

W2EV: Good on you mate, you seem to be with the program
with your post
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/2006-January/066009.html

NE1RD: Sorry mate, but the robot is not the consumer - the consumer
is the participant.  The sponsors want participants to participate,
they want an easier time of it, yet their robots often do not even jive
with the rules they've set for their event.  The event rules are supreme,
if in them there is mention of Cabrillo then the Cabrillo spec applies &
if all don't jive then they are making their own lives more difficult.  Sadly,
v3 appears to give into the mess that the category field has become - see
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2005-04/msg00044.html

The solution to all this is quite obvious to me, but might be too late
as there comes a point where the snowball rolling down the hill
becomes so big that it goes where it goes - that the robots are to
be pleased & has apparently become acceptable is manifestation of
precisely that.

What has become of  the alternative to Cabrillo?  I completely forgot
to ask the RDXC guys who were at APDXC, but with an event like
that it might be possible to get up to critical mass & actually achieve
what could be achieved for the benefit of all.... nearly made it the
first time.

Imagine - no more of jumping through silly hoops like
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2005-08/msg00464.html

73 & H(L)NY, VR2BrettGraham