[CQ-Contest] N1MM/Writelog .adif files

Tim Gardner n9lf at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 19:27:35 EST 2006

Terry,

The ADIF file format uses tags to identify each piece
of information. The tag identifies both the data type
and the number of characters for the data.  For
example, your callsign would appear as: <CALL:4>N6CW

Spaces or tabs between fields are ignored (actually
all  intervening characters are ignored) and the data
for a single QSO may appear across one or many lines.

The ADIF spec allows for the creation of new tags more
or less at will.  Programs that read (import) ADIF
format files understand this and will simply ignore
any data types they do not understand.

The gist of all this is that the specific ordering of
data is not important, and for this reason, no two
logging programs write ADIF files that look exactly
alike. In other words, don't worry about the ADIF
files looking different - it is normal and expected.

For all the gory details about ADIF, see
http://www.hosenose.com/adif/

Hope this helps.

Tim - N9LF