[CQ-Contest] NAQP Lessons learned

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Mon Jan 23 09:36:44 EST 2006

Charles,

  Good observations.  I think that you have some good thoughts there.  About the antennas...

  I contest with low antennas a lot.  Why?  Because on a city lot, you can't get antennas as high as you would like.  But, you can still do a lot of damage in a contest with low antennas.  I do quite well on 40 and 80 with antennas that are less than 45 feet at the apex...and about 10 feet on the legs.  In a domestic contest like NAQP, low antennas with high angle of radiation is kinda what you want.  But again, low antennas will surprise you when you start working Cuba and PR on 40 meters.  We also did well on 160 with a dipole that you could say is low.  So, don't discount those low wire antennas.  There is a place for them in contesting.

  Lee - k0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some and use it.  If you can't find any common sense, ask for help from somebody who has some common sense.