[CQ-Contest] Secrets of Contesting

Art Boyars art.boyars at verizon.net
Sun Jan 29 15:50:24 EST 2006

As I recall, N7MAL started this thread by mentioniong K3ZO and the "Two Secrets of Contesting."  Those turned out to be: 1) stay in the chair; 2) work everything you hear as fast as you can.  Well, that's MY approach, and I'll tell you why it is not enough.  The really successful operators do a lot of preparation before the contest.  Off the top of my head:

3. Know the rules, so you know how to maximize your payoff (score or fun; see #10).
4. Build your station to maximize its payoff within your resources.
5. Know your station -- controls and capabilities -- so you can operate it for the biggest payoff.
6. Know propagation (amazing how many self-professed "non-technical" guys know so much about propagation).
7. Know call signs, especially of the people who will be active.
8. Know the operating priveleges and habits of the target stations.
9. Add to your knowledge from every contest; even if you did not operate, look at other peoples' results.
10. Know yourself -- your capabilities, limitations, goals, motivators and inhibitors.

Nothing new there, but newbies should realize that #1 and #2 are rarely enough.

73, Art K3KU