[CQ-Contest] Cordless keyboard / mouse

Steve steveac at charter.net
Sun Jan 29 17:49:59 EST 2006

I have a Logitech Cordless Freedom Navigator keyboard and mouse. I have
tried several times over the past few years to use these devices on the
PC at my radio desk. But they do not like it when I operate with high
power on 160 or 10 meter CW. Operation on other bands doesn't seem to
bother them.

The mouse and keyboard are normally good for at least a few feet between
them and the Logitech receiver. But when I operate on 160 or 10 meter CW
I have to keep the keyboard and mouse within a couple of inches of the
Logitech receiver, otherwise they won't work until the transmitter stops
transmitting, at which point they are back to business as usual. This
constraint prods me back to wired keyboard and mouse. After a while I
tire of the cords and go back and try the cordless devices again, with
the same results.

Perhaps part of my problem lies in the use of open wire transmission
line. The open wire terminates at my tuners within 4 or 5 feet of where
the keyboard/mouse are located on my operating desk . . . a source of RF
that might be of greater level than if I were using coax?

Anyone know of cordless keyboards and mice that aren't susceptible to
being desensitized by nearby strong RF fields? (I'm assuming
desensitization is what's going on . . . educate me if there's a better
description.)

Thanks.

Steve K8JQ