[CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 Sponsored Teams

ku8e@bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 31 13:11:00 EST 2006

   I think Ken, K6LA, has a valid point, although maybe he should of discussed his concerns with PY5EG privately before his post to the contest reflector. The WRTC has been billed as the ham radio
contesting equivilant to the Olympics. In the Olympics the participants are chosen based on their past performances in their event. Our Olympics - the WRTC should work the same way.

   I think I understand how Ken feels because based on his past contesting performances he is well deserving of a WRTC spot.  The problem is there are so many other contesters in the USA that
are just as deserving.  The problem is there are only a limited number of spots available. I think Ohms and his team know this. That is why they have added the M/S teams category to allow more of us to participate in the WRTC experience. (great idea!!)

  The WRTC selection process is still a work-in-progress. As we have more of these events we will learn what selection criteria works the best (i.e is fair to everyone). In the future maybe the process can become more standardized.  I envision for future WRTC's that there are WRTC qualifiers in each country whose results determine who gets sent to WRTC.

 In closing I would like say to all the WRTC organizers (past and present) that I appreciate all the hard
work they have done in organizing their events and promoting contesting. I have not yet been able to go to a WRTC but hope to sometime in the future...

73,  Jeff  KU8E