[CQ-Contest] How about some hard data? was Unique perspectives

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Tue Jul 25 13:00:08 EDT 2006

On Jul 24, 2006, at 9:00 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:

>> But Tree, why is it bad?
>>
>> The QSOs still have to be made. The exchanges have to be sent >and
>> received correctly. Just because one's friends get on to give
>> >him, but no
>> one else, a QSO, doesn't necessarily make it bad >thing.
>
> Hi Jack
>
> I know it's a horrible thing to think about, but what is to stop
> someone
> from just putting in a bunch of callsigns in their log to make it
> look like
> they worked a bunch of uniques.  I know no ham would do that,
> but---  73
> Tom W7WHY

	Not much we can do to stop someone. But let us look at the process
this cheater would have to follow.

	1. Cheater would first have to use a callbook, or better yet one of
the web lookup services. Then the cheater would have to pick out
calls at random to enter into the log. Wouldn't want sequential
callsigns showing up in the log

	2. Next the cheater would have to be sure to differentiate the logs
by some assumption if normal propagation. If fake QSO's are located
on 75-80 meters and cross country during the daytime, then that will
raise eyebrows.

	3. The big  kiss of death will be if the cheater puts a fake call
into the log of a person who actually *IS* in the contest. How's 'e
gonna 'splain that?

	Let's face it, this "uniques as cheating" thing would have to be a
pretty lame method of cheating. Given what I outlined above, wouldn't
it just be easier to work the darn contest?

	A bogus log is pretty easy to spot, for all of the reasons given above.

	A dedicated and determined person *could* make a log that would
appear at first blush to be real.(but it would still be caught)  But
those logs are not as likely to come from a cheater as from a person
who is trying to discredit the contest administration. Wasn't someone
here once bragging about sending in a bogus log to a contest
organizer? We occasionally get them. When we do, the perpetrator is
informed that while there is nothing we can do to keep them prom
participating in the party, there is no point in ever sending in a
log again. one strike and yer out.

	Now since we've gotten this far, I would like to get some real data.
Considering how many people are wrapped around the axle with this
issue, it would appear to be a real problem. Whereas my own
experience has been that an overwhelming majority of contest logs
contain only good QSO's and the occasional bust. and participants are
scrupulously honest. The baddies stick out like a sore thumb.

	Anyone got any hard figures? I'd have to say my experience is around
the .1 percent level for the bad guys. Most people are just having fun.

-73 de Mike KB3EIA -