[CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 12:07:16 EDT 2006

Robert Naumann wrote:
> W6WRT said: "Your statement shows you do not understand two radio
> operation".
>
> I'm Sorry Bill, but you are incorrect.
>
> In DX contests when the exchange lasts a second or two at most, the ability
> to tune around on a second radio is much less of an advantage than you seem
> to think. Think about how many new multipliers and qsos you could find while
> you are saying fi-nine three or fi-nine Caleeforneea - or even when pushing
> a DVK button to say it for you.

There's another aspect of SO2R that makes it less useful than you might
think --- SO2R is only useful when you have a band that you can
effectively CQ on, and other bands that are effective for S&P at the
same time. From here in the western USA, in a DX contest, at this part
of the sunspot cycle, there are only about 8 hours per day that CQing is
effective. The other 16 hours are spent doing S&P with one radio.  In
addition, often during those 8 hours of CQing, there aren't many other
open bands - S&P on the second radio just isn't very effective.

Frankly, the biggest advantage to SO2R at this part of the sunspot cycle
is to stave off boredom and sleep during those long hours in the middle
of the night when I am "running" JA's on 40 meters. With the drop in JA
activity, "crawl" would be a better description than "run".

If you're still not convinced of the limited usefulness of SO2R, look at
the 2003 CQWW CW results. That was me operating at N7RT in Phoenix.
SO1R. New W7 record.

73,
Steve, N2IC/5