[CQ-Contest] Contest Rig

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Thu Jun 1 18:51:13 EDT 2006

Hi all,

In following this thread, does anybody have any knowledgeable input into the
question of IC 756 PRO (not II, not III, just PRO) vs. FT1KMP/MkV?

I'd love to hear from someone who actually has compared them, not merely
from owners of either who 'love' their rigs.

My initial enthusiasm for the PRO is waning a bit (maybe just the novelty
factor wearing off). For the next CW contest, I want to go back to having my
trusty TS850SAT (Inrad-ded to the hilt) side-by-side.

I noticed with the PRO during the WPX (only made about 60 Qs thanks to
family committments) that strong nearby signals would show up as as noise
consistent with that signal's keying. I've also since noticed that some
particularly strong nearby signals show up as key clicks.

So maybe my final conclusion on the PRO is that it's a great SSB radio, less
so on CW... Or maybe I just need to go back into the manual and work on the
settings...

73, kelly
ve4xt